Versatile, easy to play, warm, and powerful, the Model 5S/W1R transitions seamlessly from solo recitals to large orchestral performances. It features a special "5" bell taper with a slightly squarer bell bend, side seam, and steel bead. These characteristics give its sound added complexity and a steely shimmer, cushion the blow slightly, and enhance its projection and power. The bell of the 5S/W1R is made with the traditional, longer bend to which many players are accustomed. For some players, this can open up the feel on top of the staff; for others, it improves the attack—while maintaining the centered sound of the "5" bell. Matched with a custom leadpipe and W tuning slide, it produces an ideal balance of stability, flexibility, response, and projection. Nickel-silver balusters and valve caps add brilliance and character, increase its core, and contribute to cleanness and immediacy of attack.
- Bore: .462 inch
- 5S Bell: 4 13⁄16 inch, one-piece, hand-hammered, longer "5" (centered) taper standard-weight yellow brass with traditionally brazed (side) seam, steel bead wire, and dual-radius bell bend
- W1R Leadpipe: .351" venturi, reverse design—superior intonation with firm, yet flexible slotting and easy response.
- WR Tuning Slide: Reverse version of W tuning slide with dual-radius bend, standard water key—strong core, brilliance, and presence of sound
- Piston Material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve Cluster: two-piece casings, standard weight, with nickel-silver balusters
- Lower Valve Caps: nickel silver
- Bell Engraving: S.E. Shires makers mark, model designation, and traditional floral pattern
- Finish: silver plate
- Includes S.E. Shires double trumpet case, mouthpiece, and care kit